Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Who wants to jump into this JUICY pile of clothes?

Looks like fun, right? Akin to those Chuck E Cheese ball bins. Or Scrooge MacDuck's coin-filled swimming pool. Yeah, dive right in and swim around in some discarded clothing... and belts, bags, a plastic keyboard, puzzles and other broken/missing-pieces-of toys, etc etc. I can't guarantee that you will not encounter bed bugs, feces, or urine (sure it has rained on these items a few times, but you never really know what they are wet with). Anyway, enjoy, this colorful addition to the 74th Street sidewalk. I know I sure do! Yeah!!

Neighbor's lawn ornament
 
Update: June 1, 8am.
Last night it rained and rained and rained, and more rain is expected today. So now this pile (which has grown over the weekend, since this photo was taken) really is trash: I mean, I don't think that even a bootleg used clothing company would pick up a mildewed pile of clothing. (The company name on the box is Spingreen, fyi, but good luck trying to contact THEM directly.)
 
This situation makes me so sad. I'll take more photos today. The front part of the lawn is covered with other, "regular" household garbage including a large suitcase that has been there for weeks, a mattress frame, and now the mattress itself, as well as half-assedly-bagged garbage, and stray litter all over. So, it's a pretty depressing situation. I reported the sitch to 311 several times. The problem is that since the bin is on his own property (lawn), they cannot remove it. I contacted my community board, and they said the same thing pretty much. They did alert Sanitation, but they expect that all that can be done is that Sanitation will keep giving the guy tickets for a filthy yard. Oh, and people have also started to add  food "donations" to the pile: this weekend there was a case of Westbrae soy milk containers. (I put "donations" in quotes because I doubt that any of the food items are actually safe to eat anymore.) Why, why?!? I am so disgusted. How can someone live like this? Forget about how obnoxious it is to subject one's neighbors to this, but how can he himself live in this filth? He has a pretty young wife, and a couple of young children, and this is what he subjects his own family to?? Why doesn't SOMEONE in that house take responsibility for cleaning up their property?- the wife, the renters, SOMEONE?!?!? I can't take it!
 
I guess this is how we live in Elmhurst, huh? We just enjoy a garbage dump of a lifestyle.

 
Update: June 1, 7pm
The clothing piles have been removed! The bin still on the property though, so I'm sure it will be back to normal (ie, a filthy pile of clothing) in no time. But I'll enjoy the clothing-free side yard as long as possible (a few hours?).
 
Now, about the FRONT lawn...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment