Monday, May 4, 2015

Rest in Peace, Officer Moore

I feel like I've been doing a lot of pretend/wannabe police work on 43rd Avenue, but the truth is, I'm just a civilian. If I came face to face with real danger, I'm sure my instinct would be to RUN the other way. I think the majority of people would do the same (except for some drunks and crazies who would get confrontational). But there is a minority of exceptional human beings in this world who actually run TOWARD danger, to help not themselves or their own loved ones, but complete and total strangers. I'm talking of course about first responders- firefighters, police, and emergency medical personnel. I cannot even comprehend how brave a person has to be to rush towards danger, to, say, confront a seedy and shifty looking dude who is suspiciously adjusting his waistband. But that is what Officer Moore did on Saturday night, when he was patrolling Queens Village. He saw some guy whom he suspected of having a gun, and, following his duty to serve and protect the people in that community, he stopped that person, and tragedy ensued.
I found this photo online, and I just love it. He emits such love and light and kindness.
 I wish I could have met him- I'm sure he brightened the lives of all who knew him.

When I first heard about the shooting on the news, I didn't feel worried for some reason. I just had a strong feeling that he would be okay, even though the reports were grim. I was thus shocked to learn, just now, that he passed away.

What a short short life- 25 years! But what a brave and special person he was to have lived those years (at least the last 5, officially) in dedication and service to his fellow man.

Rest in peace, Officer Moore.

No comments:

Post a Comment