Monday, May 11, 2015

Warm Weather Dumpfest Begins

The items below were dumped by the blue construction fence surrounding the abandoned lot on 43rd Avenue. This particular section of 43rd Avenue (shown in this old post) is popular amongst dumpers. It is where people dump their nastiest stuff: eg, loose piles of toiletries and personal items, old clothes, bodily waste, etc. [As a matter of fact, the background image I used for this blog depicts a typical dumping in this location; yummy, right?] I notice that when people dump a single large item like a mattress or couch, they leave it on the more heavily trafficked other side of the Avenue, usually right by the overpass. Maybe they think that a passing Sanitation truck will be more likely to notice it and pick it up that way (since they have to pick up garbage from the neighboring houses). But this blue construction fence area seems to be where people dump stuff when they just don't care. Thus, things are spread all over, and the mess is really really gross. Last summer I found a dead rat under such a pile, as well as a Starbucks cup full of feces (and I'm not just taking a dig at Starbux coffee; I mean, there was actual feces in the cup). So now when I see something like this, I call 311. I hate to subject the DSNY to such grossness, but at least they have had training and use proper gear (thick non-permeable gloves, etc) so that they are, hopefully, protected when they have to dispose of unknown substances.

I called this in late Friday night, May 8, 2015 (2015MLCO05336). It was gone the next day. Best of all, a DSNY superintendent actually left me a voicemail message to say that the pile had been collected. Woohoo!! I love the DSNY! They really are the best.
May 8, 2015 Pile

No comments:

Post a Comment