Monday, September 22, 2014

The Elmhurst "water" balloon

I tried to explain the phenomenon of P-bags to my friend who lives in another (much cleaner!) town. The item pictured above is a thin plastic bag (think produce bags from the supermarket) full of a yellow liquid that I assume is human urine. I have seen so many of these on and around 43rd Avenue. I passed this one on my walk to the train this morn. It was about 5 feet from the curb, so hopefully a car will roll over it soon and the contents will be expelled that way. I try to do my part to pick up litter, but I draw the line at touching a flimsy bag full of urine.

I have so many questions about these P-bags. No, I no longer wonder why someone would toss such an item, making the neighborhood look really gross and creating VERY unpleasant clean-up work for another person. But I am really curious as to why they choose this particular means of eliminating waste. Specifically:

1. Why not just pee on the curb/against a building, ie, NOT in your vehicle? I assume that it is cab/car service drivers who create these Elmhurst souvenirs. The majority of cabbies are men. Men have the anatomical means to eliminate urine in public places rather discreetly. I understand that cabbies  cannot afford to waste time driving around trying to find a business that allows non-customers to run in and use the facilities. Even the city Starbuckers have started to lock their bathrooms. My question is, why don't they find themselves a not-too-busy street and urinate against the curb? Heck, even if they peed on the curb on a BUSY street they would probably be able to get back in their car and drive off without comment. Just last week I saw a man right on 14th Street off 6th Avenue (in Manhattan) urinating against the Big D's Discount Store; this was at 9am, when the sidewalk was crowded with rush hour commuters and the PoPo presence was strong. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to encourage public urination in my neighborhood; I'm just really curious because I would think that not peeing in the vehicle in which one spends 12+ hours a day would be desirable.

2. Okay, you don't want to risk peeing out on the street. But why would you choose to pee into such a flimsy receptacle? Every P-bag I have seen has been a flimsy, very thin plastic bag: they look like produce bags from a supermarket. Why not invest in a urinal? I guess because then they'd have to empty it and at least occasionally give it a perfunctory rinse, whereas this is a single-use, free item that they can just toss out the car window. But why choose such a flimsy receptacle? I would think that the risk of tears and leakage of these thin plastic bags is very high. Why not pee into a bottle? (some folks do; believe me, I've picked up plenty of Poland Spring bottles full of yellow fluid). Or at least use a regular (ie, thicker) plastic shopping bag that would be less prone to leaks?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe the thin produce bag feels extra-gentle against the dink? Or maybe the cabbies liken their dinks to cucumbers, which leads to produce bag usage. Or maybe the cabbies use the thin bags hoping that they will burst, because they really don't want to toss a bag of pee but times are tough and they simply can't afford to take a real urination break. Lots of other potential reasons too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking that the logical pee bag choice is a produce bag -- you know "p" for produce?

    ReplyDelete