Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Morning Walks...and Medical Waste!

For the past few days, I have been taking a shopping bag (regular plastic bag that you get from the grocery store) with me when I leave for work. In the 2.5-block walk to the train station, I manage to pick up so much litter that the bag is soon overflowing; usually it is full before I even make it to block #3. I don't know what exactly goes down on 74th Street at night, but I can surmise from the litter that it involves the consumption of many airplane-sized bottles o'booze, cigarillos, and take-out food that comes in plain white Styrofoam containers.

I assume that people who pass me on the street think I'm a nutjob. Maybe when I do this on the weekends and I am wearing a dirty tee shirt and jeans they assume that I am picking up garbage as some kind of work release/court-mandated job. But when I'm dressed for work and reaching down every two feet to retrieve another item of filth, it must make people wonder. It certainly makes them swerve a few feet out of their way to avoid me. However, this morning a woman actually said in passing,"That is very nice of you." It made my heart sing. It made everything...groovy (sorry, just got that song in my head). Seriously though, I really appreciate it when neighbors say thank you! Makes me feel like other people are actually benefiting from my garbage-collecting obsession.

On another note: I have to start a photographic chronicle of the medical waste I find on 43rd and 74th. Elmhurst Hospital is a few blocks away. At least some of the medical waste I find in the streets must be from people who left AMA, because it's the kind of stuff that folks normally wouldn't walk out with. Here is a list of some of the medical goodies I've come across:

*ECG pads (I've come across many of these, both in the gutters of 43rd and also along 74th Street)
*Hospital "footies" (the socks with treads on the bottom that are worn by hospital patients). I found a dirty/well-worn hospital sock on 43rd a couple weeks ago-- looked like someone had been wearing it as his or her sole foot protection (no pun intended) to walk the sidewalks and streets.
*Elmhurst patient wristband.
*Insulin needles. Okay, so these could have been left by a non-hospital patient/outpatient diabetic. I found these twice in front of my house. At least the person was considerate enough to recap them before tossing.
*Bandages of all kinds and sizes (adhesive strips, gauze, some with blood/pus/serosanguinous residue, yum!).

2 comments:

  1. I want those hospital footies!!! Okay, I don't really... But I do enjoy wearing the ones that my ma has gotten me from her many holidays @ the hospitals of the metrowest/Boston areas. Now, when you pick up the really gross stuff, like bloody bandages, please tell me you do so with someone else's hands?? Or at least with one of those old fashioned trash picker uppers that forrest rangers use????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I was thinking the same thing that one of your FB chums wrote. This blog and what you are doing is worthy of fame. I think what you are doing is absolutely wonderful!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete