Sunday, September 21, 2014

43rd Avenue car break-ins

I was just chatting with a neighbor, and she told me that her friend's car was broken into while it was parked on 43rd. Someone smashed the window and stole a bag that was in the car. The lady reported it to the 110th precinct. I have heard about neighborhood car break-ins in passing--I think I just read about them as subject headings of posts on the Jackson Heights Families listserv. Stupidly, I did not pay attention to these posts because I assumed they were happening closer to JH.

I can tell from the litter that some nefarious sh*t transpires on 43rd in the wee hours (maybe in the daytime hours too, who knows?). Apparently car window smashing is one more crime that we have to worry about on this stretch of land.

At the risk of sounding all broken-windowsy, maybe if we work to keep 43rd Avenue clean (at least garbage-free), we will communicate to would-be thieves and druggies and johns that this area IS cared about and that neighbors ARE WATCHING what goes on.... and we will report criminal behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment