Monday, October 13, 2014

Look out!

The October 3-5, 2014 Report.

Thankfully there were no 311-worthy piles of garbage on 43rd Avenue this weekend. Just the usual scattered debris, e.g.:




Empty bottle, condom box, and condom wrapper
(thankfully they did not leave behind an Elmhurst whitefish


 


Friday was a wild night on 43rd, as usual. Someone enjoyed a bottle of Hennessy and some adult time.



The only interesting (in an unusual/disturbing way) find was a freakin' LAWN DART. This thing was scary. It was surprisingly heavy, and I imagine it could cause serious injury. I  have since looked up lawn darts, and found that they were in fact responsible for several deaths. The Consumer Safety Commission issued an alert and ban in 1997. I don't know how or why this one ended up here. For one thing, there are no lawns. What the heck was this dart used for? I don't really want to know, actually.

On a non-garbage note: Saturday night around 9pm I was walking along a dark stretch of Woodside Avenue when a creepy thing happened: a big white van was keeping pace with me. It was going almost as slowly as I was walking (there weren't many other cars sharing the road). A guy in the passenger seat was leaning out the window making some sort of vocalization that sounded like "ooh, ooh!" in my direction (I had my headphones on so I couldn't make out what- if anything- he was trying to articulate). At one point I stopped in my tracks, and the van stopped too, but thankfully there were a few other cars on the road by that time so the van had to restart a moment later. I kind of slowed down so he(?) would have to keep driving along with the other cars, and that is how I lost him. But still, it was pretty unnerving. I have to remember that Halloween approacheth, and the neighborhood gets even sketchier on Halloween (I haven't witnessed anything myself, but my neighbor who has lived here 20+ years has all kinds of stories; Halloween is supposedly a big gang initiation night). So everyone please be wary, especially of big, white, new-looking, unmarked vans!

No comments:

Post a Comment