Monday, November 10, 2014

Police release sketch of man whose body was found in the 43rd Avenue lot

I was very happy to finally find an update to the case of the person whose body parts were found in bags in the 43rd Avenue lot* back in April. Brief background: a homeless man collecting cans in the area found a bag with body parts; he called the 5-0, who subsequently found a few more bags. (*I'm actually not sure if the bags were found in the lot itself or along the tracks that border it, or both; all I know is when the discovery was made, for 2 days I saw police/OCME folks going in and out of the lot.)

Obviously this case is sad and horrific beyond comprehension. And since this discovery was made on my territory (the lot is the epicenter of neighborhood littering/dumping so I always have cleanup to do around there), it is very close to my heart. I always think of the person when I'm working on 43rd Avenue. I have been checking the OCME's online listing of unidentified bodies in NAMUS since April, but the latest Queens listing was from 2012. I had feared that this case was deemed hopeless and already filed away in a dusty precinct basement. Thus, I was very grateful to see the update (release of sketch) today. I hope this man can be identified and given a proper burial by his loved ones.

Police sketch of the gentleman whose body was found in the 43rd Ave lot in April
Up until now, the only thing the public knew was that body parts including a skull with some hair were found. This week, the police released additional details including the fact that the victim was male, white, and approximately 30 years old. They also released 4 sketches.

It would also be helpful to find out his height and his estimated date of death, and whether any jewelry or clothing were found. Maybe those details are forthcoming. I wonder if these were skeletonized remains. I walked by the lot every day and never noticed a smell.

**I also wonder what else is in the lot. From what I can see through the cracks in the fence, the weeds are about 4 feet high, as are the garbage piles. How do the authorities know that there aren't more clues in there, or, God forbid, more bodies?!!

Sorry, I'm getting carried away (though I think I make a valid, albeit crazy-sounding, point).

If you recognize this man, and/or have information about the murder, please call 1-800-577-TIPS or submit your tip online.

For the more pecuniarily motivated folks: you can receive up to $2000 if your tip leads to arrest/indictment (read the details on the CrimeStoppers web site). Tips can be anonymous.

Please, if you know anything about this man, call CrimeStoppers.


3:40pm: I just checked NAMUS; the case report is now up!!!https://identifyus.org/en/cases/full_report/13060


According to the NAMUS report, his height was estimated to be 5'8. Condition of body was "near complete or complete skeleton" (hence the lack of decomp odor on 43rd?). His age was actually between 20 and 30 years. Race/ethnicity was either White or Hispanic.
 or Hispanic. And estimated interval between date of death and

 
 
If you google the GPS coordinates that are included in the NAMUS report, a picture of this fence comes up! So I guess that at least some of the bags were found in here, and others along the hill leading to the railroad tracks-?
The lot (pre-October-paintjob).

Arrow points to the spot where people tend to leave their piles of commercial/household/personal refuse.
Also, you can sort of see where the lot-garbage seeps out under the fence- yum!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment