Tuesday, November 25, 2014

It's garbage night! (rather, illegal dumping night!)

I apologize for the lousy quality photos, but they were taken at night with a cell phone camera. Thanks to the DSNY, these items were gone when I went by this morning-- they must have picked them up the same night I called in the complaint to 311; thank you DSNY!!
 
We hadn't experienced dumping on 43rd Avenue in weeks. I optimistically/stupidly thought that perhaps my obsessive litter-collecting, and the Woodside Neighborhood Association's wonderful work here last month, sent the message to would-be miscreants that this block is no longer being ignored and that residents will not tolerate dumping, litter, and graffiti. Well, my stroll down 43rd last night was a slap in the face times three: there was plenty of litter (despite the fact that I had picked up every piece of litter on both Saturday and Sunday), and also dumping and graffiti. Great.

311 Complaint called in 11/24/14 circa 8:30pm: 201-ML-MA-06385; picked up by early the next morning (thank you DSNY!!).

11/24/14: mattress dumped on 43rd Avenue


11/24/14: small pile of hymnals dumped on 43rd Avenue
11/24/14: close-up of a hymnal



 

11/24/14: pile of VHS tapes dumped on 43rd Avenue
(blank tapes that were used to record shows from TV, eg, "1988 Olympics"--
but who really knows what was on these tapes?)
 

11/24/14: The neater stack of the VHS collection
 that some kind soul donated to the sidewalk of 43rd Avenue.
Thanks!

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm a reporter with NY1 News and I would love to do a story about you cleaning up the neighborhood. Please email me agnes.chung@ny1news.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete